The Keto diet is one of the most effective and best ways to lose weight, but it has some side effects too. Here we will be talking about one probable side effect: “Keto Crotch”. Does eating low carbs can cause Keto crotch? Relax! You will get all the answers to your question, but firstly, answer a few questions of mine.
Are you following a Keto diet? Let me ask you another question. Have you noticed anything weird about your vagina recently? If Yes, then this is for you. Read on to know about the strange side effects of the Keto diet & its fixes.
The Ketogenic diet is having a moment now. Originally designed to treat epileptic patients who did not respond to traditional medicine, a high-fat, low-carb diet aims to put the body in ketosis, a condition in which we burn fat, not carbs.
But it has a number of side effects. It can put its followers at risk for kidney problems, weight loss, “keto flu,” and more. Not all of that, though some Keto followers talk about one unusual effect called “keto crotch.”
Keto Crotch: what is it?
“Keto crotch” actually refers to a temporary change in the vaginal odor(fishy smell) of women on a ketogenic diet.
Although no research has been done on the topic, a medical phenomenon can occur if you drastically change your diet by adding large amounts of certain macronutrients such as fats and proteins, according to one of the top health websites in the US.
Want to lose more than 7lbs in 1 week? 1000+ made it possible. It's time for you. Join our diet program for FREE to make it happen. Click below to Register.
OFFER VALID FOR A LIMITED PERIOD ONLY.
Is Keto Crotch true?
Some people notice that they have increased vaginal smell and discharge when on the Keto diet.
It has never been the subject of scientific research yet. However, it may be Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).
Bacteria called lactobacilli are important in ensuring a woman’s acidic environment, which helps maintain the natural microbiome of a woman’s vagina. BV occurs when the environment in the vagina changes, and other bacteria replace lactobacilli.
The potential scale of hydrogen (pH) determines what an acidic or alkaline substance is. The normal vaginal pH during the reproductive years is almost 4.5.
According to a reliable source in a 2007 study, a high-fat diet can cause high pH in a woman’s vagina. The study found that participants had a high-fat diet and had a pH level of 5.1. The pH of a woman’s vagina above 4.5pH can be an indicator of BV. This affects a woman’s vaginal health.
Studies suggest that a high-fat diet can increase the risk of BV-related viral infections by increasing the risk of further bacterial overgrowth.
A reliable source for the 2020 review has strengthened the links between a high-fat diet and the possibility of BV. However, it should also be noted that saturated fats can be an important link.
Since a keto diet consists of eating large amounts of fat and low amounts of carbohydrates, there may be a link between diet and BV.
A high-fat diet can change the pH of a woman’s vagina, leading to an area where BV can occur.
You may also like reading:
- What happens if your diet lacks unsaturated fats significantly?
- Is your diet nutritionally efficient? | What is a Body type Diet?
- Is Garcinia Cambogia Keto friendly or not in a Keto diet!
Keto Crotch Symptoms
It is possible that the Keto Crotch is a side effect of the Keto diet.
Its symptoms include a strong fishy odor and white discharge. However, these symptoms may indicate BV also.
BV is the most common cause of vaginal discharge in women between the ages of 15 and 44 years. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 21.2 million women between the ages of 14-49 in the United States have this condition.
Symptoms of BV include:
- a small discharge from the vagina that may look white or gray
- heat, itching, or pain in or near the vagina
- a strong, fishy smell
- a burning sensation when urinating
Since the symptoms of BV and keto crotch are similar, some people in the keto diet may say this in the diet itself.
There is not enough research to find out whether Keto crotch is a real result of a Keto diet.
Keto diet is not the sole cause of Keto Crotch, there is a number of a known cause of BV. However, BV may cause the disruption of female natural ph.
The following may cause changes in the normal pH of the vagina:
- Keto diet (Not proven yet by any medical research)
- Products with genital warts
- BV is not a sexually transmitted disease (STI). However, new sexual partners can increase the risk of developing BV. Female sex partners can transmit BV to each other.
Keto Crotch can sometimes go away on its own, or doctors can treat the condition if symptoms are present.
Other than this, there are a few methods by which Keto Crotch or BV can be treated. Those are listed below:
- If you think that the causes of BV are due to the Keto diet, then consult your doctor or dietician to change your diet plan.
- One can treat BV with antibiotics, like clindamycin or metronidazole. Both of these antibiotics work in excess for more than 90% of people. These antibiotics are also present in the form of creams, private suppositories, or oral pills. The course of antibiotics lasts between 1-7 days. However, the condition can persist despite antibiotics, or recur. You must consult your doctor before taking an antibiotic.
- Daily exercise can also be a mode of treating BV. A daily workout can burn the excess fat, which in return can reduce Keto Crotch along with weight loss.
BV can sometimes go away without treatment. However, it is important to seek treatment if symptoms occur due to potential complications.
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), BV can lead to health risks, such as:
- Increase the chances of transmitting HIV to your partner if you are HIV positive.
- The chances of getting HIV from your sexual partners get increased.
- More chances of getting other STDs(Sexually Transmitted diseases), such as chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Increasing the chances of premature birth if you are pregnant
How do you get rid of keto smell?
Here are a few simple tips to reduce bad breath while your body prepares a low-carb diet.
- Increase your water intake.
- Eat less protein.
- Practice good oral hygiene.
- The mask smells like mints and gum.
- Be patient.
Does keto crotch go away?
A high pH of a woman’s vagina can lead to keto crotch
The high pH level of the vagina – above 4.5 – provides the perfect environment for healthy bacteria to grow. It puts you at risk of contracting certain diseases. Fortunately, keto crotch can be treated and may go away on its own.
Does keto crotch itch?
A keto crotch can also give you a keto rash
Yes, that’s because if you have keto crotch, there’s a lot of discomfort and itching. And frequent contact with unwashed hands or brushing your genitals can also lead to rashes.
A keto diet can cause certain side effects, such as keto flu and keto breath. It can have long-term side effects, including kidney stones and a lack of vitamins and minerals.
Keto crotch is a condition that some people are aware of in a keto diet. Its symptoms are very similar to BV, including the discharge and strong odor.
There is a link between high-fat diets, such as the keto diet, and BV, suggesting that high-fat diets can increase the chances of getting an infection. BV can go away on its own, but it is important to see a doctor if there are any symptoms. BV increases the risk of contracting and transmitting HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and increases the risk of premature birth. A person can treat BV with antibiotics.
- What are the Best Methods of Weight Loss in 2021?
- Yoga postures and their benefits | 13 Best Yoga Postures
- 8 Basic Tips to Lose Weight Fast for Teenagers